Hello CRMCA members,
I heard a rumor that travel was wacky over the last week and hope you were able to connect with your family and friends and enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday! Staying true to my millennial roots, I celebrated with my family and cooked a pork shoulder instead of turkey – blasphemous, I know! Regardless of however you decided to enjoy the holiday, I hope it was relaxing, fun, and safe.
Not only was I lucky enough to celebrate the holidays with my family, but I also was able to connect with many CRMCA members on November 21-22 during the Annual Conference. This year’s event had the highest attendance in at least the last 8 years as well as record sponsorship. So, before I get started, I need to thank you all for your continued support of the associations. Your participation is what makes our events a success!
This month we are bringing you a special edition of the monthly CRMCA blog. This edition focuses on the 2019 Annual Conference, please read on for more details on last month’s event.
- Award Winners. Congratulations to the 2019 Annual Conference Award Winners!
- CRMCA Market Committee of the Year: Central Market Committee. Presented to Tom Cummings of CR Minerals.
- CSSGA Committee of the Year: Land Use & Environmental Committee. Presented to Stephanie Fancher-English of Loveland Ready-Mix Concrete.
- Build With Strength Superior Leadership Award: Dana Rotkovich, BURNCO Colorado, and Jenn Wiggins, Transpro/Burgener.
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Dana Rotkovich, BURNCO Colorado. Have you seen our Build With Strength video yet?!?
- Best Director: Annelise Shepherd, CRMCA. Special shout out to Mike Alvarado of CRH Americas Materials who deserves all the credit.
- Concrete Pillar Award: Rick Wheeler, formerly CEMEX.
- Rodman C. Stewart Memorial Leadership Award: Andy Geisler, BURNCO Colorado.
- Safety Innovation Award: Ian Thompson, Martin Marietta.
- Mixer Driver of the Year – 1st Place: Randy Seery, BURNCO Colorado.
- Mixer Driver of the Year – Finalist: Roger Germain, Martin Marietta.
- Mixer Driver of the Year – Finalist: Chris Hill, Martin Marietta.
- Andre van Hall. Were you able to attend the Presidents’ Dinner during the Annual Conference? If not, then check out this message from our keynote speaker, Andre van Hall! If so, you will still appreciate this post-conference message from Andre. He delivered a moving speech with a wonderful message of staying curious even when you are facing adversity in your life. In addition, CRMCA and CSSGA donated $2000 to Guide Dogs for the Blind in lieu of distributing promotional gifts during the event. Our donation was made during Giving Tuesday and was matched dollar for dollar, bringing the grand total to $4000!!
- Speaker Presentations. Thank you once again to the 2019 Annual Conference speakers! This event would not be possible without the support and expertise of the individuals who presented at our event. Below you will find copies of the presentations from the Annual Conference.
- Concrete Industry Management at CSU Chico. Presented by Amanda Muller (CSU – Chico), Greg Odenthal (Pinnacle Consulting), and Dana Davis (Teichert Materials).
- CRMCA Strategic Plan Update. Presented by Dana Rotkovich (CRMCA Board President).
- Excellence in Concrete Awards. Presented by Dawn Miller (RMACI) and Mike Eads (GH Phipps).
- Help Raise the Bar in Mine Safety and Health. Presented by Bill York-Feirn (DRMS).
- NRMCA Update. Presented by Mike Philipps (NRMCA).
- NSSGA Update. Presented by Mike Johnson (NSSGA).
- Promoting from Within & the CSU Pueblo Construction Management Certificate Program. Presented by Juliette T. Mogenson (CSU – Pueblo) and Terry A. Kish (CSU – Pueblo).
- Respirable Silica Regulation: On the Horizon for Mine Operators. Presented by Josh Schultz (Law Office of Adele L. Abrams).
- Technology in Safety, the Good, the Bad, and the Unknown. Presented by Laura E. Beverage (Jackson Kelly PLLC).
- Colorado Public Works Journal’s Advertisement Winner. Congratulations to Mark Johnson of BURNCO Colorado for winning an ad in the WINTER issue of Colorado Public Works Journal (CPWJ)! Thanks again to Jo Taylor, managing editor of CPWJ, for her support of the CRMCA and CSSGA. Use this link to learn more about the magazine and subscribe today!
- Post Event Survey. Did you love the format of this year’s event, but weren’t sure who to tell? Did you loathe the length of the meetings and need a place to vent? Well, you are in luck, we have created a 2019 Annual Conference Post-Event Survey. In all seriousness, your responses help drive the direction for future events, please complete the survey and give us your constructive feedback. The survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.
- THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS! Last, but certainly not least, I want to thank our 2019 Annual Conference Sponsors for their generosity and support of CRMCA/CSSGA!!
- Platinum: Cemex, Holcim (US), Inc., Martin Marietta, Mountain Cement Company, Wagner Equipment
- Gold: Albert Frei & Sons, BURNCO Colorado
- Silver: Chryso, Faris Machinery, Four Corners Materials/United Companies/Telluride Gravel, GCP Applied Technologies, Skyway Cement, Tezak Heavy Equipment, Transpro/Burgener
- Bronze: Bruckner’s Truck Sales, Con-Tech Manufacturing, FiberForce, Loveland Ready-Mix Concrete, MHC Kenworth, Sika
- Partner: CON-E-CO, Euclid Chemical Co., Master Builder Solutions, Salt River Materials Group, Tetra Tech, Inc., Vince Hagan Company
On behalf of CRMCA and CSSGA, thank you for being a part of our associations. If you are interested in getting involved please reach out to see where you can best plug-in. Wishing you the best over the coming holiday season.
Colorado Ready Mixed Concrete Association