Hello CRMCA Membership. As March is just around the corner, we quickly realize 2020 is racing by. Hopefully the added day brought on by the Leap Year helps! Enjoy the extra day!!! Here is what is going on at CRMCA:
- Legislative Session. The 2020 Legislative Session is well underway. The CRMCA/CSSGA Governmental Affairs Committee has been active since the Legislative Session kicked off on January 8. The subcommittee meets every Monday morning in the basement of the Capitol to review upcoming legislation. While wins at the Capitol can be hard to come by, I am pleased to announce HB 20-1089: Lawful Off Duty Activities (marijuana use outside of workplace) has been killed in committee. Thanks to Totsy Rees and all involved in fighting this and the many other bills that can negatively affect our businesses.
- Legislative Breakfast Program. We also continue our CSSGA/CRMCA Legislative Breakfast program on the 3rd Wednesday of the month in downtown Denver. These occur before board meetings, which allows for great discussion and interaction between our speakers and industry leaders. In February, Senator Don Coram addressed attendees and discussed issues at the Capitol and in rural Colorado. Also, the Governmental Affairs Committee will be actively pursuing fundraising for the CONCRETE PAC, so look for information regarding this important process in the coming months.
- Concrete Day at the Capitol. Our very successful Concrete Day at the Capitol will continue on April 24th. During this BBQ on the Capitol grounds, we will host over 500 elected officials and their key staff members. Governor Polis spoke at least year’s event and has been invited again. If you have attended and volunteered in the past, you know this is a great opportunity to interact with all involved at the state Capitol. Contact Emma Dolan to be part of the action!
- Leadership Training and Spring Networking. I am pleased to announce 2 exciting events on March 17. The first is Emotional Intelligence Leadership Training, which allows members of any age to improve skills and increase their leadership abilities. Space is limited for this event so register ASAP. This is followed by our Networking Event at the Governor’s Mansion. Those that have been there know this is a great setting to network and interact with producer and associate members along with elected officials. Register and plan to attend.
- ACI Student Partnership: CSU Pueblo. The CRMCA is once again partnering with the Colorado State University (CSU) in Pueblo to provide ACI Field Testing Technician Grade I certifications. About 30-40 students will be trained and tested during the process, in an effort to bring more youth into the concrete industry. The program will occur at the CDOT Region 2 Laboratory in Pueblo between April 13 and April 17, and we are in need to volunteers during the process. Contact JT Mesite if you can assist.
- Mixer Truck Driver Championship. Also, 2020 will include a Concrete Mixer Driver Championship competition scheduled in Denver on June 27th. Our Steering Committee is just underway with specifics, but look for more information to come as we work thru the details of this event. Much more to follow………………
- Summer Conference. Lastly, room reservations are available for the 2020 Summer Conference. This year the event will include CSSGA members, which will increase networking opportunities for members of both groups. Hope to see you in Vail on July 30-31. More details/registration will be available in the coming months.
Thanks again for your active participation in CRMCA!!!
Todd R. Ohlheiser